310 memory problem

Brian Robertson b.robertson at ic.ac.uk
Tue Jan 27 08:26:26 EST 1998

In article <6aiqtd$cq6 at net.bio.net>, guilly01 at mchip00.med.nyu.edu wrote:

> Our 310 Genetic Analyzer has recently developed a particular quirk - It
> claims to run out of memory - and either stops running or fails to save
> the data (I assume it has collected) - Defragmenting the hard drive has
> not solved the problem - and Norton Disk doctor did not pick up on any
> significant problems on the Mac -
>
> Since we have not changed how we run the unit - (The Mac is devoted
> solely to running the Collection program and automatically analyzing the
> data) - I see no reason to have memory problems - ABI Tech support
> recommended buying more RAM - and although this would solve the
> immediate problem - I am afraid it will not cure the "ailment" -
>
> Any thoughts on this matter, would be greatly appreciated -

We have had a similar problem running short capillaries, and have cured it
by switching on virtual memory. This is against ABI recommendations, but
so far we have no problems with this. I think that more RAM is probably a
better option, although maybe  updated software will also help.

Brian

--
Dr. Brian D. Robertson
Dept. Medical Microbiology