an invatation to ape-genome

jim stewart jstewart at darwin.mbb.sfu.ca
Mon Sep 28 15:59:56 EST 1998

Date: Sun, 27 Sep 1998 17:10:17 -0700 (PDT)
From: "C. Cam Muir" <cmuir at haldane.mbb.sfu.ca>
To: nobody at net.bio.net
Subject: ape-genome

An invitation to

ape-genome at sfu.ca

Hi Folks,

Some of you may remember a thread in the spring about extending the
Human
Genome Project to include non-human apes.  This past July I attended to
GAWC3 in Kuching where I took part in a discussion of working to extend
the HGE to include non-human apes under the auspice of the Hominoid
Genome
Evolution.  To that end we now have a discussion list set up as:

> a forum for the discussion of, and
>the organization for, the inclusion of other apes into the Human Genome

>Project under the auspice of Human Genome Evolution.

There are many avenues for this discussion to follow.  To begin with we
need to organize our sequencing efforts.  I am very excited about this
list and hope there are people out there who will want to take part.  I
have attached some simple subscribe/unsubscribe instructions.  If you
know
of any person or organization, or list that may have interested members
please do me the huge favour of forwarding this invitation.

A couple general things:

The list is, and I hope will remain, an unmoderated list.  As the list
administrator, I ask that all posts be written with respect.

There will be an archive (I guess there is now) set up.  The archive is
in
two parts and can be accessed on the web.  I will send out full details
as
requested.

How to subscribe
Send e-mail

To: majordomo at sfu.ca
Subject:
subscribe ape-genome
end
How to unsubscribe
Send e-mail

To: majordomo at sfu.ca
Subject:
unsubscribe ape-genome
end

C. Cam Muir Ph.D.
Institute of Molecular Biology and Biochemistry
Simon Fraser University
Burnaby, B.C.  Canada V5A 1S6
(604) 291-4593 (lab)
(604) 291-5583 (fax)
(604) 731-0161 (home)
cmuir at haldane.mbb.sfu.ca
http://darwin.mbb.sfu.ca/imbb/beckenbach/cam.html

"On taking it out of my net and opening the glorious wing, my heart
began
to beat violently, the blood rushed to my head, and I felt much more
like
fainting than I have done when in apprehension of immediate death."
                    Alfred Russel Wallace on catching a rare butterfly