Shaker question

Stephen R. Lasky srlasky at cellworks.mbt.washington.edu
Mon Dec 6 13:41:43 EST 1999

Julie McCollum wrote:

We use serveral approaches for solving this problem:

1) get "Tuperware" containers that hold 4 deep well plates arranged in
one layer, cover that with a sterile filter paper (whatman 3mm), cover
that with a piece of packing foam (the grey stuff), and then put that in
a normal orbital shaker incubator and attach to the platten with
springs.  This holds the plates in place and you can rotate as fast as
you want providing you don't splash the media out of the wells.

2) buy a hygro-incubator from genemachines.  This machine that allows
you to pump O2 into your incubation chambers and shake the plates hard.
It is a self contained incubator/orbital shaker and can hold  16 deep
well plates at a time.  We don't use the O2 feature (clogging problems
and lack of need) and have had breakdowns quite often.

The tuperware solution is low tech ahd has been used in our labs for at
least 3 years.  It works.  The hygro is new and has some problems.

hope that helps.

srlasky
--
Stephen R. Lasky, Ph.D.			#