Glasswool purified PCR product sequencing problem

Dr. Duncan Clark Duncan at nospam.demon.co.uk
Fri May 7 12:26:23 EST 1999

In article <7guaj8$pec at net.bio.net>, WZhao68 <wzhao68 at aol.com> writes
>I've using glasswool to purify my PCR product from gel slice. I've been having
>unconsistant results.

Glass wool will bind DNA to some degree. Not surprising given that
silica is used for a lot of DNA purification kits i.e. Glass milk type
kits. A much cheaper and less nasty solution is to go your local pet
shop and get hold of some aquarium filter wool. For a few dollars it
should last a long time, can be autoclaved and is some plastic polymer
and looks just like glass wool. There is a reference for using this, I
think Biotechniques a year or two ago.

Duncan
sliced from time to time....

Duncan Clark