automating mac->UNIX ABI data

Mark Berres markb at
Fri Oct 15 04:07:54 EST 1999

In article <7u47dn$mpj at>,
	Chris Botka <botka at cgl.ucsf.EDU> writes:
> Hi,
> I am novice on this particular subject, so if this is a silly
> question, apologies in advance.
> I have been asked by some folks who use our resource about
> automating uploads of ABI (377) base calls and raw sequence data to
> a UNIX host.

If you are looking for a somewhat automated approach to file distribution,
take a look at either Gelmover (Sanger Center: or
Distributor (UT SWMC: This should get you started.

Or, if a more hands-on approach suits your needs, note that you can
create a Macintosh based fileserver on your Unix box that
will mount on your remote machine. The packages (Columbia Appletalk
Package, CAP) and Netatalk will do this very efficiently and free on
a variety of Unix flavors. These packages split automatically the
data and resource forks of your Mac files; they can easily be accessed
from both the Unix and Mac environments simultaneously.