Editview alternative

James Bonfield jkb at arran.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk
Wed Aug 23 11:55:00 EST 2000

In <8nsevv$i7o$1 at mercury.hgmp.mrc.ac.uk> Perry d'Obrenan <perry.dobrenan at ualberta.ca> writes:

> Does anyone know of a Macintosh application which can read Beckman
> CEQ2000.scf files in the same way that ABI's Editview allows you to see
> the electropherogram, run parameters, sequence text, etc.etc.

I've looked at a Beckman file and it's claims at being SCF are stretching
things a bit far.

It did indeed have a valid SCF format in the strictest of senses, but in a
completely useless way. dump_scf revealed the header as follows:

779314022       # magic_number
0               # samples
0               # samples_offset
0               # bases
0               # bases_left_clip
0               # bases_right_clip
0               # bases_offset
6               # comments_size
128             # comments_offset
2.10            # version
2               # sample_size
2               # code_set
171618          # private_size
134             # private_offset

Ie there's no trace or base data at all - it's all stored in the private

I don't know whether this is typical of other Beckman files, but if so then I
guess we can say that no program is likely to be able to read Beckman "scf"
files unless it has inside knowledge of the private data format.

James Bonfield (jkb at mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk)   Tel: 01223 402499   Fax: 01223 213556
Also see Staden Package WWW site at http://www.mrc-lmb.cam.ac.uk/pubseq/