ABI 3100 or Amersham MegaBACE?

Jason Simon cibulasimon at home.com
Thu Dec 14 21:39:16 EST 2000

Ros,

The 3100 uses the same technology as the 310 sequencer, so beware, as the
MegaBACE is really in the same class as the 3700.  If service for the 3100 is
on par with the 3700 (what we use in our lab), then expect indifferent
service from Applied Biosystems, unless you make lots of noise when you have
a problem.  I was nearly set to buy the MegaBACE, but tilted to the 3700 (I
know, not what you're loking at...) due to its superior throughput and
unattended operation.  Don't expect many deals from Applied Boisystems,
unless your institute spends lots of pounds on other reagents from them (Taq
etc.).  I'd imagine Amersham/Pharmacia will move more on price, especially if
you dangle the possibility that you're considering a Applied Biosystems
machine.

Hate them as we all must, I think the 37003100 is a more efficient use of
money than the MegaBase, plus you don't need to switch chemistry.

Good Luck

Jason