ABI 310 capillaries

Nick van Holst Nick.VanHolst at flinders.edu.au
Sun Jul 16 22:49:41 EST 2000

Has anybody out there played around with washing/regenerating ABI 310
capillaries?.

We predominantly use the short capillary as we only require short sequences
to identify our products and use the long column infrequently for walking.
The long column will sit idle for long periods of inactivity, during which
time it "goes off" and it comes to using it again, it has lost its'
resolution and we have to install a new column (gets expensive).

I have heard (on this list and elsewhere) mention of acid washing
capillaries/glass plates (also interested in this for large sequencing gel
plates) and am looking for any specific information in this area.

The snippets I've heard are in relation to washing with Nitric acid and I
have had an adaptor made that allows me to (reasonably) easily attach a
syringe to a capillary thus allowing me to perform washes etc. outside the
pump block.

any help/advice will be gratefully accepted.

Nick van Holst,
Research Associate,
Centre for Digestive Health,
Department of Gastroenterology,