Loss of small bands on Genescan and sequencing

Alan Wilton a.wilton at unsw.EDU.AU
Wed Jun 28 05:15:31 EST 2000

Dear all,

Has anyone know the cause of missing the FIRST 200 bp of bands on Genescan
and/or sequencing gels?

For our Genescan an occassional lane has markers as strong as the
neighbouring lanes but nothing below 200 bp even though they come from the
same mix of standards and formamaide and dye.

For sequencing it seems to be more consistent across all or part of a gel.

Having conquered the loss of resolution after 200 bp by scrubbing and
constantly cleaning the plates now we have gone the other way.  Perhaps we
have worn the plates out?  Can acrylamide mix 19:1 vs 29:1 cause such
problems?

Happy sequencing

Alan

Alan Wilton
School of Biochemistry and Molecular Genetics
University of New South Wales
Sydney  NSW  2052
AUSTRALIA

Phone	(02) 9385 2019