Buffer consumption of the 3700

Phillip San Miguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Wed Mar 7 18:34:50 EST 2001

    I'm running v. 1.1 of Data Collection for sequencing on the 3700. The manual
claims that a 3700 will consume 430 ml of buffer per run. I did 6 runs
yesterday. Before starting I emptied the buffer container and then added 750 ml
of buffer. A few minutes ago I measured the remaining buffer: 300 ml.

    That works out to 75 ml being used per run.

    Is everybody getting similar results to me? Tech service at ABI (as of
several months ago) claims the 430 ml figure is correct. My service engineer
says that others are also using less buffer.
    When I ran v. 1.0 of the software (using POP6) my machine was consuming
about 400 ml per run. I noticed a decrease in the amount of buffer I was using
when I changed to v. 1.1 just over a year ago. But I'd never quantified it
before today.

Phillip SanMiguel
Purdue Genomics Core Facility