3700 384-Well Format

Dr N.I.Leaves nleaves at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk
Tue Nov 20 11:32:04 EST 2001

Absolutely, the machines will run maybe 3.75 * 384 plates with the default
water and waste if you fill the water to the top and turn off the sensors
in your run module. I know there is enough capacity in the waste but just
not enough water to run 4*384 plates (using 96 caps). I really like the
104 caps idea - too clever for me to have thought of it!  :)

Why ABI would sell the machine like this amazes me. In my opinion it is a
fundamental flaw which should be addressed by ABI. ABI say they are
working on an upgrade - my guess is that will be a bigger water bottle
from Nalgene, which will cost $400 for what is really a $50 container.

As a word of warning: it has been suggested to me that changing the water
container yourself to something bigger might put you in breach of your
service contract/warranty.

Good luck

Nick Leaves

On 20 Nov 2001, Phillip San Miguel wrote:

>     Very strange, the standard water carboy has at least enough water for a 24
> hour run in our hands.  That is two 384 well plates.
>     I bought an extra waste container and put water in that. I've done 12 runs
> over the course of a weekend without adding/changing reagents. I think 14 would
> work fine. For 16 I would be concerned about overflowing the waste container.
> But you could probably modify the waste container so to allow overflow to go
> into a waste container outside the 3700.
>     Actually, you wouldn't need to do 16 runs--15 runs with all 104 capillaries
> would be more than enough to run all 1536 samples in four 384-well plates.
>
> Phillip SanMiguel
> Purdue Genomics Core Facility
>

> jws36065 wrote:
>
> > Hi,
> > I've written a few times before concerning various aspects of the 3700's
> > 384-well capabilities.
> > Our company is now looking into running 4 384-well plates over the course
> > of a weekend.
> > I was wondering if anyone else had tackled the problem of keeping the
> > machine supplied with enough water for such a run.  The current water
> > container holds enough for 4 96-well plates, or 1 384-well plate.
> > ABI currently does not supply larger containers and has no info to pass
> > along.
> > Thanks,
> > John
> >
> > ---
>

> ---

end
Dr N I Leaves
Mouse Sequencing
MRC HGMP Resource Centre
Hinxton
Cambridge CB10 1SB
tel: 01223 494557 (office) or 01223 494541 (lab)
email: nleaves at hgmp.mrc.ac.uk