[Automated-sequencing] Applied Biosystems service issues?

Phillip SanMiguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Mon Jul 25 11:40:46 EST 2005

Anyone else get the impression that ABI is stretching their service reps
*way* too thin of late?

Our 3730XL has been down a week and two weekends. That is a full
business week. ABI has only been able to sent a service engineer out
twice during that time. (On Wednesday and Friday.)

To add insult to injury, our service call was closed after Friday--even
though we could not get the sequencer to do a single run this weekend.
As a result we were somehow pre-empted and no engineer will come today.

Maybe this is a midwest thing? Does everybody have to wait 2-3 working
days for an engineer to get on site?

What makes this even more maddening is that I really need an additional
sequencer to deal with additional projects that are coming. I'm not
looking forward to twice the headaches though...

Phillip SanMiguel
Purdue University