[Automated-sequencing] Re: Future of Autoseq mailing list/ bionet.genome.autosequencing newsgroup

Don Gilbert gilbertd at bio.indiana.edu
Tue Jun 21 19:08:19 EST 2005

Autoseq readers,

This is a 2nd test post via Usenet/bionet.genome.autosequencing.
Phillip SanMiguel reported his post via usenet to here failed.

Thanks to Phillip, I found my mistake, and need to wipe egg
off my face now.  Last week we moved BIOSCI/Bionet from  the MRC-UK to
Indiana U.  At the change-over, I was taken aback to find all the
spammers in the world  sending their junk into bionet groups
(over 3900 of the ~4000 postings/day to bionet are spam).

I had pre-tested good spam filters for this, but not to handle that
high level.  Much of last week I spent finding/making new spam
filters, and in the process  I also inadverantly blocked  posts
from valid Usenet moderation sources.  This should be corrected now.

Phillip asked about making this an unmoderated group.  10 years
ago it would have been fine. Today however, any unmoderated
Usenet group is a magnet all the spammers in the world,
other unmoderated bionet groups are essentially unusable
becaue of this and have been abandoned by biologists.
It is possible to have several moderators for  such a group,
so no one person has the burden.

-- Don Gilbert
BIOSCI/Bionet admininstation, Indiana U.
Email:  biosci-help @ net.bio.net

--
-- d.gilbert--bioinformatics--indiana-u--bloomington-in-47405
-- gilbertd at indiana.edu--http://marmot.bio.indiana.edu/