[Automated-sequencing] Re: sequencer question

Phillip SanMiguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Fri Nov 4 15:18:03 EST 2005

Sarah Johnson wrote:
> We currently have a Licor and Alf Express sequencing instruments.  The
> Alf Express is not well supported anymore and I'm afraid it is not going
> to work for much longer so we are looking at replacing it.  Does anyone
> have insight into what platforms are best out there?  We are looking for
> a mid- throughput instrument preferablly with reads greater than 800bp.
> We are used to reads well over 1000bp from our Licor aparatus.  I am
> interested in ease of use in regards to reagents and instrument,with
> cost a factor.
>
> Thank you inadvance for your information,
> Sarah

Hi Sarah,

If you like your Licor, you could go for another of those. Otherwise I
think you would be looking at an Applied Biosystems 3100 (16
capillaries) or 3100avant (4 capillaries). I'm not very familiar with
the 3100 series. If they were to use POP7, then like the 3130, they
could give you 1000 base reads in around 3 hours (800-900 base reads in
2 hours). If not, you would need to use the long (80 cm) capillary array
to get past 1000 bases. But those runs take quite a while, so your
throughput would suffer.

You will probably want to look at the Beckman CEQ as well. But I don't
know if they can get 1000 base reads.

--
Phillip
Purdue Genomics Core Facility