[Automated-sequencing] Data Analysis on 3130

Adrian Jenkins ajenkins at nibsc.ac.uk
Mon Sep 19 09:47:26 EST 2005

We have recently upgraded our ABi 3100 to the 3130 XL version (16
capillaries).

However, the stumbling block now is the data analysis.

Currently I use the Staden Xgap4 assembly software to merge the data
files into a contig before using GCG, ClustalX etc to analyse the
emerging data from the contig assembly stage.

As a general rule, I will sequence my gene/are of interest four times,
twice forward and twice reverse, and assemble these into a contig, each
contig normally consisting of three or four strands of data to generate
the consensus.  When  have the consensus sequence of the contig, I take
this further with my data analysis.

However now we are entering the numbers games more significantly, this
step is becoming the tedious, bottle neck.

What systems, methodologies are people using to analyse sequence data?

I have recently received ABI's propriety Seqscape software together with
Ridom TraceEditPro (http://www.ridom.de/traceeditpro/info_main.shtml)

Any help, suggestions appreciated.

Regards

Adrian

%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%

NATIONAL INSTITUTE FOR BIOLOGICAL STANDARDS AND CONTROL

Adrian Jenkins     Molecular Virology Group
                                Division of Retrovirology
                                http://www.nibsc.ac.uk
<http://www.nibsc.ac.uk/>
                                Phone:                        01707
641439
                                Divisional Office       01707 641219
                                Fax 01707 649865

"You have enemies? Good. That means you've stood up for something,
sometime in your life."     Winston Churchill