[Automated-sequencing] Re: variation in libraries was: Autoseq Digest, Vol 4, Issue 5 - Email found in subject

Richard Cooke cooke at univ-perp.fr
Thu Sep 22 02:11:25 EST 2005

Phillip San Miguel wrote:

> Duncan Clark wrote:
>
>> Historians believe that in newspost
>> <mailman.683.1127317265.29381.autoseq at net.bio.net> on Wed, 21 Sep
>> 2005, Phillip San Miguel <pmiguel at purdue.edu> penned the following
>> literary masterpiece:
>>
>>> If, however, you are using the strains that Invitrogen normally
>>> includes with it's cloning kits--those give us enough trouble that
>>> we toss them and buy DH10B electrocompetant cells.
>>

>> Which strains don't work for you?
>>
>> Duncan
>
> I stick with DH10B, DH5alpha and the XL's where I can. Many other
> strains caused this issue (although a long time ago.) Top10 has given
> me the broad peak issue.
>
> But to tell the truth, this might have only happen with a miniprep
> method we no longer use...
>
> Phillip

Having had problems with different competent cells and/or miniprep
methods, I (and, I presume, many others) would be interested to have
feedback on what does and doesn't work for capillary sequencing. We do a
lot of sequencing work for colleagues and I'd really like to be able to
give clear guidelines on what to use. Could you share your experience?

Richard

--

Richard Cooke
Laboratoire Génome et Développement des Plantes