[Automated-sequencing] Re: variation in libraries was: Autoseq Digest, Vol 4, Issue 5 - Email found in subject

Richard Cooke cooke at univ-perp.fr
Thu Sep 22 02:11:25 EST 2005

Phillip San Miguel wrote:

> Duncan Clark wrote:
>> Historians believe that in newspost
>> <mailman.683.1127317265.29381.autoseq at net.bio.net> on Wed, 21 Sep
>> 2005, Phillip San Miguel <pmiguel at purdue.edu> penned the following
>> literary masterpiece:
>>> If, however, you are using the strains that Invitrogen normally
>>> includes with it's cloning kits--those give us enough trouble that
>>> we toss them and buy DH10B electrocompetant cells.
>> Which strains don't work for you?
>> Duncan
> I stick with DH10B, DH5alpha and the XL's where I can. Many other
> strains caused this issue (although a long time ago.) Top10 has given
> me the broad peak issue.
> But to tell the truth, this might have only happen with a miniprep
> method we no longer use...
> Phillip

Having had problems with different competent cells and/or miniprep
methods, I (and, I presume, many others) would be interested to have
feedback on what does and doesn't work for capillary sequencing. We do a
lot of sequencing work for colleagues and I'd really like to be able to
give clear guidelines on what to use. Could you share your experience?

Richard Cooke
Laboratoire Génome et Développement des Plantes
UMR CNRS-IRD-Université de Perpignan
66860 Perpignan-Cedex
Tel: (+33)468662131
Fax: (+33)468668499