[Automated-sequencing] Re: marks on buffer tray

Phillip San Miguel pmiguel at purdue.edu
Fri Feb 3 14:04:40 EST 2006

Fulton, Ciaran wrote:
> Has anyone any experience of marks appearing on the buffer trays on
> their ABI3730/3730xl? The marks look like greasy hand prints that have
> built up over time, kind of like news print but obviously not since
> we're using gloves...it is also only on the buffer trays not the
> water/waste trays. This has started since we've been using 384-format
> plates and sealing with adhesive foil. It looks like some sort of
> electrophoretic phenomenon...?
> Any suggestions as ever....appreciated.
> Regards,
> Ciaran

That sounds worrisome. The foil likely can conduct current. Maybe you
are getting arcing and the "newsprint" is actually residue.

Any reason you don't use heat sealing instead of adhesive foil? ABgene
has an inexpensive manual heat sealer:

However their website is down and their US phone number is disconnected!
Maybe their UK office is still open:

ABgene House Blenheim Road, Epsom, Surrey KT19 9AP Phone: +44 (0) 1372

I'm not talking about the ALPS-300--that is a monster and costs a lot of