question on decoding utilities

TAO%OPUS at mcoiarc.bitnet TAO%OPUS at mcoiarc.bitnet
Wed Dec 19 14:28:00 EST 1990

Hello, netter.  I am a new comer to the biological computings.  I have several
questions regarding these decoding utilities for vax machine (VMS os).

I got the uue and uud they worked fine, but some programs were encoded in Z
form. I don't know how to deal with that. Also I heard some thing called
compress/uncompress and tar/untar, which are related to file or program
compression.  Could any fellow netter offer me some "systematic" insight on
these encoding and decoding utilities?  Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks in advance for these helps.

Tao Tao
graduate student in microbiology
Medical College of Ohio at Toledo