PHYLIP on a Cray???

Sarah K. Barron sarah at HERMES.CHPC.UTEXAS.EDU
Mon Dec 3 10:28:59 EST 1990

>PHYLIP has many times been ported to IBM mainframes.  It runs under
>many different Pascal compilers including Pascal/VS and Pascal/8000.
>There are a few character translation problems in using the source in
>EBCDIC but these are described in the documentation provided.

>The 3.3 version has just been out since June, but at two users had
>indicated their intention to port it to IBM mainframes: I have e-mailed
>their e-mail addresses to Jacobson.

Has PHYLIP (any version) ever been ported to a Cray Y-MP?  We are considering
doing this if no one else has.

Also, does anyone know if the code is parallelizable?  If so, what type of
parallel machine would be better -- a MIMD or SIMD???

Sarah Barron
Computational Molecular Biology and Genetics Group
University of Texas System Center for High Peformance Computing
Balcones Research Center, CMS 1.154
10100 Burnet Road
Austin, TX 78758-4497

Internet:  sarah at hermes.chpc.utexas.edu