Usenet News reader for Macintosh

David Kristofferson kristoff at genbank.bio.net
Thu Dec 13 20:12:38 EST 1990

To add to the voices about TheNews, a news reader for the Mac:

I had a chance to try this out today and agree that for those who
desire the Mac interface, this program will be viewed as an
improvement over UNIX newsreaders and ANU-NEWS.

However, I personally don't find programs like readnews, rn, and vnews
difficult to run, i.e., although a Mac interface is a plus, I don't
think that it is the biggest advantage over the UNIX software.  The
main problem with UNIX netnews software is the fact that one often
gets stuck using editors such as vi or emacs to compose messages.
TheNews is an improvement in that it uses a Macintosh-style editor.

Unfortunately, TheNews also has the drawback of having to retrieve
news from a file server.  In my case, I tried the program using
genbank.bio.net as the server (just down the hall over the Ethernet).
I found the small delays involved in retrieving messages a bit
annoying compared to reading news directly on genbank.bio.net using
vnews.  Also, since I am not annoyed by emacs, the presence of a
Mac-like editor does not compensate me for the added delays.

My verdict: if you are a budding network fan, like the Mac, and have
someone to help you set this up, you will probably like TheNews.

However, if you are an experienced user who is not intimidated by UNIX
editors, the extra time involved in using TheNews will not be worth
the different interface.  After all, news should be something that one
scans quickly.  If you don't like mainframe/minicomputer editors, a
better solution is to use a newsreader with a mouse-driven,
cut-and-paste style editor directly on a faster machine that stores
news.  For Xwindows environments there are programs such as xrn with
these features.
--
				Sincerely,

				Dave Kristofferson