Sequence Analysis on the Mac

Win Hide V5222E at templevm.bitnet
Thu Jan 4 16:04:51 EST 1990

Mac Software available commercially includes:
DNA inspector (latest version is good)
PLasmid draw (good but pricey)
Full packages are sparse, the newest coming to mind is the Mac version of
PC gene from Intelligenetics or the most likely to be out soon is the
package from IBI (the name escapes me) going for $2500 etc,....
I have resorted to using a collection of single purpose porograms, and find thi
ok, as long as cut and paste keeps working, we'll all be fine.
Examples are: DNA ID (available from EMBL via Email)
Stryder 1.0 (I have a PD copy and you are welcome to it, just write)
I am looking for a good alignement program, and have yet toi fnd one. But that
usually eats speed and memeory, so is better suited for  a vax package such as
the Wisconsin package if you can get online to it. Write for more details.
Also homology searching implies you have some kind of dtatabase locally.
If it is Genbank or wotever, the better bet is to access genbank at
Bionet (intelligenetics) which has the very lates uploads, and to use FastA
to search via FTP. This sounds complicated, but in fact is very simple.
IE: The best mac program for all of this is probably RedRyder!!

I have also been looking for Macprogs and get by as stated. My biggest hassle
right now is aligning stuff. There is a PD IBM program available from EMBL,
I currently use that, then port to a mac for the fun bits (I also use
PAUP which is for phgylogenetic analysis on the MAc).
Best of luck and let us know wot is available out there...
Win Hide
Temple University Biology Dept.
215 787 6688