Clustal and Multalin

A.F.W.Coulson at edinburgh.ac.uk A.F.W.Coulson at edinburgh.ac.uk
Mon Jan 22 04:41:36 EST 1990

              'Clustal'   and   'Multalin'
                        -- 0 --

Users of Clustal on PC's, who have just destroyed their copies in response
to IG's instructions, may like to know that there is a program which implements
a very similar algorithm to Clustal, called Multalin, available from
          F.Corpet
          I.N.R.A.
          Laboratoire de Genetique Cellulaire
          B.P. 27
          F31326  Castanet  Tolosan
          FRANCE
This is free to non-profit making institutions, sent on receipt of a diskette
and an 'engagement to make no  commercial developments.'

My only connection with the software is that I was asked to review it for
a journal; I was happy to recommend it.  It may not be so fast as Clustal
(I haven't compared it with the PC version of Clustal directly), but there
are some features of its output, and the program's ability to be used
iteratively which are useful and interesting.

Andrew Coulson
Biocomputing Research Unit,
Department of Molecular Biology,
University of Edinburgh,