uploading/downloading w/ IRX on genbank?

Julie Ryals ryals at genbank.BIO.NET
Thu Jul 26 17:11:32 EST 1990

>I seem to be unable to use the kermit Output option
>using IRX to transfer files to my computer while
>connected to genbank.bio.net.
>
>Is this because Kermit transfers can only occur while
>using PC's over Telenet and it is disfunctional over
>internet connections?  Is there some trick to making
>kermit on the workstation side listen to the right
>port or something?
>
>Is it possible or am I running down a dead end?
>
>-mike

In general, the kermit option in IRX requires a connection to the GenBank
On-line Service via Telenet and therefore cannot be used over the Internet.
However, you can get any entry you see while using IRX by sending
an e-mail request to the GenBank Entry Server.  When you locate an entry
of interest with IRX, jot down its entry (LOCUS) name or primary accession
number (the first accession number if more than one is listed).  If you
want an EMBL entry, use the entry name (on the ID line).  Then put just
that entry name or accession number in an e-mail message and send it to
RETRIEVE at GENBANK.BIO.NET.  The entry will be returned by e-mail (usually
faster than a Kermit transfer).  This method is usually at least as fast
and convenient as the Kermit downloads.

Julie Ryals
GenBank Scientific Reviewer
(415) 962-7309