VMS 'Norton Utility'

Robert Harper harper at nic.funet.fi
Fri Apr 5 07:22:18 EST 1991

ALSOBROOK at yalemed.bitnet writes:

Ja>Hi to all BIONETers! I know this section is labelled "PC-SOFTWARE", but
Ja>I didn't think anyone would mind this posting. Are any of you aware of
Ja>a VAX/VMS equivalent of the Norton Utility's "file find" IBM-PC program?
Ja>I just hate digging through my whole directory tree to find one misplaced
Ja>file (although utilities like 'SWING', which is a VAX almost-equivalent
Ja>of XTREE, do help)!  Maybe there's even a standard VMS utility that can
Ja>do it, but I sure can't find one. Thanks to everyone, even if all you did
Ja>was read this!
Ja>                John Alsobrook  ALSOBROOK at YALEMED.BITNET

You can use the VMS SEARCH command to find files that you are looking for.
If you get to the top directory and do:

$ SEARCH <...> filename.ext

Then VMS will zip through the current and subdirectories to find the file
you want... If you do not remember the file name but remember a word in your
file you can also search for that and if you put a qualifer like /WINDOW=10
SEARCH will give you ten lines of context around the word that you were
looking for.

There is also a programme called MAINT which will allow you to TAG files
and DELETE, COPY, them. MAINT is also quiet useful in that if you SELECT
a file you can VIEW it with the equivilent of TYPE/PAGE. The only trouble
I have found with it is that it sometimes messaes up record formats.
But anyway it is a useful utility in conjuction with SWING.

-=ROB=-