uudecoding on SUNs

"Rainer Fuchs ", EMBL Data Library Rainer.Fuchs at EMBL-HEIDELBERG.DE
Wed Aug 14 11:43:00 EST 1991

Ethan Hack writes in a previous posting:

> The instructions for obtaining UNIX software from the EMBL File Server
> (to get these send the message HELP UNIX_SOFTWARE to netserv @
> embl.earn) tell one to obtain from the File Server a program called
> UUD.C to decode uuencoded files.  The UNIX computer to which I have
> access is a Sun 4/470 running SunOS 4.1.  Unforunately, the UUD.C
> program is supplied as source code in ANSI 'C' and cannot be compiled
> with Sun 'C'.  Moreover, when I arranged for the program to be
> compiled on the Sun with the GNU 'C' compiler, which follows the ANSI
> standard, the program did not execute.

Just a word of explanation: when we wrote a Mac version of UUD we changed the
source code to ANSI C, the definitive standard for the C language. We tried
the code on DECstations, our main UNIX machines, and it compiled without
problems. But then it turned out that the SUN C compiler does not support the
ANSI standard. This didn't seem to be much of a problem since we had no
problems with compiling the source code with GNU C on our SUN4s. It's not
clear to me why the program didn't work when Ethan Hack tried the GNU
compiler.

Anyway, because there seems to be a general demand for a version of UUD
written in SUN C, this version is now available by sending the command
Get UNIX_Software:SunUUD.c
to NetServ at EMBL-Heidelberg.DE

Rainer Fuchs
EMBL Data Library