Uudecoding files with SunOS 4.1

Ethan.Hack at newcastle.ac.uk Ethan.Hack at newcastle.ac.uk
Wed Aug 14 07:43:12 EST 1991

I accidentally sent the message headed "Software for finding specified
sequence elements" prematurely, and it includes incomplete information
about decoding uuencoded files.  I regret any confusion this may
cause.  The following should be more accurate.

The instructions for obtaining UNIX software from the EMBL File Server
(to get these send the message HELP UNIX_SOFTWARE to netserv @
embl.earn) tell one to obtain from the File Server a program called
UUD.C to decode uuencoded files.  The UNIX computer to which I have
access is a Sun 4/470 running SunOS 4.1.  Unforunately, the UUD.C
program is supplied as source code in ANSI 'C' and cannot be compiled
with Sun 'C'.  Moreover, when I arranged for the program to be
compiled on the Sun with the GNU 'C' compiler, which follows the ANSI
standard, the program did not execute.

However, the version of UUD.C for DOS from the EMBL File Server CAN
be compiled with Sun's 'C' compiler, and the program executes with no
trouble.

There is a widely-available program called uudecode.  This works
fine for uuencoded files unless (as the EMBL File Server help points
out) the files are split into separate parts for mailing.  The UUD
program is designed to work with split files.

Conclusion: If you need to decode split, uuencoded files on a Sun, get
the DOS version of UUD.C from the EMBL File Server.  To do this, send
the one-line message GET DOS_SOFTWARE:UUD.C to netserv @ embl.earn.

Ethan Hack, Department of Biological and Nutritional Sciences,
The University, Newcastle upon Tyne  NE1 7RU, England
Phone: +44 91 222 6000 ext. 8576     Fax: +44 91 222 6720