BLAST

Steven Smith smith at plasma.harvard.edu
Tue Aug 27 14:43:14 EST 1991

JMILLER%VXBIO.SPAN at STAR.STANFORD.EDU writes:

> Does anyone know about the availibility of the fast database searcher
>BLAST. I know people at NIH and Harvard have access to it. Is it (1)
>available through some server on the net, or (2)available as source
>code?
>-Peter Markiewicz

Peter,
  NCBI plans to offer to the general public a network based server for
blast.  I know of this because we are one of their beta test sites.  The
performance is wonderful, and there is no need to keep local copies of
the databases on your machine for the searches.
  It is not clear when they plan to offer this service to the general
public, but for now you can get the source code for the local database
version via anon-ftp to ncbi.nlm.nih.gov.

Steve Smith
Harvard Genome Lab