Compress/uncompress

CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV CZJ at CU.NIH.GOV
Thu Aug 1 07:22:28 EST 1991

I may have missed this in the recent discussion about file compression,
but is there a DOS equivalent to the UNIX compress/uncompress
utilities?  The reason I ask is as follows:

Through the magic of computer science, our LAN of PC's is
now hooked up through the INTERNET.  This means I can get
selected GenBank files quickly.  But many are compressed.
What I would like to do is FTP the compressed files and
uncompress them on my PC.  This was easy when I had my 386i
but, thank goodness, that monster is now gone and I now have
a plain vanilla PC.

Thanks
Jim Cassatt