Draft of text for Sources instructions.

Don Gilbert gilbertd at sunflower.bio.indiana.edu
Mon Dec 30 15:03:25 EST 1991

At present, any mail sent to software-sources at genbank.bio.net
or posted to bionet.software.sources thru usenet goes to a
group of the archive maintainers, including Rob Harper, Dan
Davison, Ranier Fuchs and myself.   Rob Harper is taking charge
of making that group into whatever it should be.

If someone uses ftp to put a contribution to one of the archives,
then it is up to forces of entropy to push that contribution to
other archives (meaning I or you or someone has to fetch from one
archive and put to another) -- I don't have any automated "software
fetching" software installed.   That is why I ask for some of you
beyond just authors to help make these self-service archives better
at serving all of us, by helping to re-distribute such contributions.

If I write a piece of software and post it on iubio archive (which I
will tend to do), then some person needs to copy it to the other
archives at some point, if they are to get it.  I'm too lazy to do that.
Maybe D. Davison, R. Harper and R. Fuchs are too busy.  That leaves it
to kind souls with ftp access who are interested enough to fetch the
program from iubio and who realize that others may benefit from their
help if they send it on to, say, the Houston server or the EMBL server
or the NIC.Fi archive.  I haven't been asking for anyone to pay me back
for the software that I write for biologists.  Perhaps you can pay forward
this debt by helping other biologists use the software, including
distributing it where others can get it more easily.

Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at bio.indiana.edu