Draft of text for Sources instructions.

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Mon Dec 30 14:19:00 EST 1991

>>        Are there any plans to mirror the bionet.software.sources submissions
>>on ftp.bio.indiana.edu and to provide email access via gene-server at bchs.uh.edu
>
>I'll stuff any biology software that comes my way onto the iubio (ftp.bio)
>archive.  Let me remind both biology software authors and those of you who
>use biology software, that you are more than welcome to drop off any software
>or data that is publicly shareable to the iubio archive.  Just use anonymous
>ftp to ftp.bio.indiana.edu, directory Incoming, and "put" your contribution.
>Please include a "Readme" short text description of any such contribution.
>
>The iubio archive, and the other biology archives, can be made better for all
>of you if some of you who benefit from getting files here will take a bit
>of time to return a contribution in kind.  I don't have the time to copy
>everything from other archives and sources that would be useful having in
>the iubio archive.  So if you find some public biology software that isn't
>at the iubio archive, please consider dropping it off at ftp.bio.indiana.edu.

Don,
        Let's really clarify this within the context of Rob's draft.  It
presently gives instructions on how to deposit software via FTP to
nic.funet.fi (plus an email message about it to molbio at nic.funet.fi), or via
email to software-sources at genbank.bio.net if the submitter doesn't have FTP.
Will Rob then get the stuff to the other archives, or should we do that
ourselves?  If the latter, how would submitters who don't have FTP get the
stuff to ftp.bio.indiana.edu?

                                Fote