GenBank DNA extraction and parsing software

smouldering dog owhite at
Fri Dec 13 12:49:47 EST 1991

have other investigators written programs to extract and examine DNA
sequences from GenBank?

I have recently constructed some robust software that selects a subset
of DNA sequences from the GenBank database, and parses the GenBank entries into
a form more ammenable to sequence analysis.  for example, the user
could select all the human sequences that contain 5' untranslated
regions, and collect these portions of DNA intro a single file for
examination.  these extraction and parsing tools have such a wide
range of applications, I am keen to describe these packages in a

are there any other packages that perform similar types of operations
on GenBank that people would please tell me about?

thanks for your help,

	owen white		(owhite at

the difference between art and science is that in art, if something
		works, it doesn't have to make sense.