Compression Software

Rob Harper harper at convex.csc.FI
Wed Dec 4 03:38:35 EST 1991

In <1991Dec4.043820.7565 at alw.nih.gov> donnel at helix.nih.gov (Donald A. Lehn) writes:

>	I'm afraid that you will be hard pressed to compress these files.
>I'm pretty sure that they are TIFF files and as such are about as
>compressed as they can get.  (You can compress the header info though and
>that is how you squeezed the 3Mb out of the file.)

This is also true for GIF files, they are already compressed, so there is
not much point trying to compress them further... and in some cases if
you do try it you will get a BIGGER file than you started with.

   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302