Compression Software

Rob Harper harper at
Wed Dec 4 03:38:35 EST 1991

In <1991Dec4.043820.7565 at> donnel at (Donald A. Lehn) writes:

>	I'm afraid that you will be hard pressed to compress these files.
>I'm pretty sure that they are TIFF files and as such are about as
>compressed as they can get.  (You can compress the header info though and
>that is how you squeezed the 3Mb out of the file.)

This is also true for GIF files, they are already compressed, so there is
not much point trying to compress them further... and in some cases if
you do try it you will get a BIGGER file than you started with.

>Donald A. Lehn, Ph.D.                      Phone: (301) 496-2885
>Bldg.37 Rm 3D20                            FAX:   (301) 496-8419
>National Cancer Institute / NIH            Email: donnel at
>Bethesda MD 20892
   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at
   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at
   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302