Structures on sparc

Chris_Upton at darwin.biochem.ualberta.ca Chris_Upton at darwin.biochem.ualberta.ca
Tue Dec 3 14:50:15 EST 1991

Hi,
     I recently posted a request for programs to run on a sparc 2 to display
protein structures from crystallographic data.
Here's a summary of replies.
I just got NSEQTOOL running yesterday (partly, it seems to need fortran.. but
the programmer who was helping me, by-passed this bit and I'm not sure of the
full consequences). It does just what I need.

Thanks to those who sent info!

Chris Upton

>    I looking for a program that will display protein structures on a Sparc2.

Get NSEQTOOL from the UH Gene-Server, the EMBL File Server, IUBIO's
FTP server (ftp.bio.indiana.edu) or funet (nic.funet.fi,
pub/sci/molbio/...

It's in the unix section of the archive sites.

SEND UNIX NSEQTOOL.TARZ.UUE should do it from the UH server.
Unpack as usual.

good luck,

dan

Houston/4800 Calhoun/Houston,TX 77204-5934/davison at uh.edu/DAVISON at UHOU
Subject: sparc2 programs

There is at least one -really nice- program I have seen; you did not
say you needed it in the public domain, and it is not.  It is called
OpenMolecule, written by a fellow at Scripps, and is marketed through
Andataco, which, as you may know, is one of the larger 3rd party suppliers
of hardware for Suns.  It is very nice.  Academic price, as I recall,
is $1,000, tho I may be wrong on this.

One of my grad students also wrote a very simple program for displaying
and rotating ball and stick Brookhaven files, but that is all it does.
It is as 'nothing fancy' as you can get, and I am also not sure if he
would be comfortable giving it out [I leave those decisions to them].
OpenMolecule needs OpenWindows, ours was written for X-11R4, and also
runs in [but does not take advantage of] R5.

If you have the money, buy the other one; if not, write and I will talk to
Paul.

Ernie Retzel
Dept. of Microbiology
Univ. of Minnesota

ernest at lenti.med.umn.edu
We obtained a program called `nseqtool' from the EMBL file
server (just send a message saying `help' to netserv at de.embl-heidleberg).
The program allows you to twirl 3D structures in stereo on a
sparcstation, in addition to all sorts of fancy things with sequence
alignments (ie. in conjunction with the structure).

		Robert Russell
		Laboratory of Molecular Biophysics
		Oxford, U.K.
		rbr at uk.ac.ox.bioch