Indexes to Genebanks

Jim Mullin jim at csd.uwo.ca
Mon Dec 9 15:59:48 EST 1991

I have become interested in indexing a genebank collection according
to patterns in the genes.  The idea is to later search for close matches
to subsequences.  The code would report all close matches found in the
entire collection.  I am looking at very large collections --- hundreds
of thousands.  The only stuff I have found in the literature for LCS
involves dynamic programming comparisons.  Is there more literature?

The idea I have involves building a large indes similar to those used
in literature indexing of articles (STAIRS).  I think it will be possible to
adapt this stuff for close rather than exact, matches.

Jim