Compression Software

ALSOBROOK at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU ALSOBROOK at BIOMED.MED.YALE.EDU
Thu Dec 5 16:12:00 EST 1991

From:	IN%"harper at convex.csc.FI"  4-DEC-1991 04:52:00.39
To:	IN%"software at genbank.bio.net"
CC:
Subj:	RE: Compression Software

--
>   Rob Harper                     /   E-mail:          harper at convex.csc.fi
>   Finnish State Computer Centre  /   Molbio/software: harper at nic.funet.fi
>   P.O. Box 40, SF-02101 Espoo    /   Telephone:       +358 0 457 2076
>   Finland                        /   Fax:             +358 0 457 2302

There is a program available for PCs running DOS -- the program is called JPEG;
it compresses  GIF files (not sure about TIFF) -- the compession ratio depends
on how much  quality (i.e. resolution) you want retained. It easily compresses
by a factor of two with very little image degradation. I don't know what other
platforms it can run on, or if there are any file size limits, but I will post
the name/address of the developer (it's shareware, so you only pay if you want
to keep it, and a very reasonable price at that!).

* John Alsobrook                        |    Never ask a question whose    *
* Child Study Center                    |    answer you are not prepared   *
* Yale University School of Medicine    |             to hear.             *
*                  bitnet: alsobrook at yalemed.bitnet                        *
*               internet:alsobrook at biomed.med.yale.edu                     *