Mac <-> Ethernet (GatorBox commentary)

jahayes at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu jahayes at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu
Mon Feb 25 17:01:09 EST 1991

I can comment on the utility of a GatorBox (Cayman), since this note
is being composed on my mac and will be sent out through the Box to
our Vax (I'm tired of the IBM...) and out to the waiting screens of
the denizens of net.land.

Seems to work fine.

We have two, actually, since our department here has two zones for
local networking; each zone has a GBox which connects to the campus
backbone. Two products are now in use in the department; tn3270,
which emulates eponymously, and MacIP, which is what I'm now using,
and allows (umm...peeking up at the menu bar...) telnet, finger, ftp,
and whois, whatever that is, sessions. All works dandy. No complaints,
the equipment has performed up to spec, and when we bought them there
was a price break of "buy four, get one free!!!" or some such, reducing
the price from about two grand each to, uh, 1600. Good deal. I understand
Cayman provides excellent tech support, but really can't comment on that
as I'm just

a happy and satisfied user,

Josh Hayes, Zoology Dept, Miami University, Oxford OH 45056
jahayes at miamiu.acs.muohio.edu or jahayes at miavx1.acs.muohio.edu (preferred)