request for gene database information

David Kristofferson kristoff at
Fri Jan 25 13:12:24 EST 1991

> 1.	Is it possible to download large sections from an ftp
> site?

Yes.  FTP to or [].  The databases are in

> Is it possible to get a hold of 1/4" tapes of
> data or even CD-ROMs for local use.

These are also available.  You can contact GenBank at 415-962-7364 if
you want to discuss options and subscription or one-time tape or CD

> I am using a
> Mac IIfx for most of this stuff and would prefer to
> have everything be accessible under the Mac environment.

The GenBank CDROM can be used in conjunction with the Mac.
> 2.	Is there a document that details the various database
> formats?  If so, where can I get a copy?

This information is contained in the release notes which accompany the

				Dave Kristofferson
				GenBank Manager

				kristoff at