bug in tfasta

JREES at vax.oxford.ac.uk JREES at vax.oxford.ac.uk
Thu Jan 24 07:12:00 EST 1991

>wrp at biochsn.acc.Virginia.EDU (William R. Pearson) writes:
>-> [a bug] causes the program to core-dump when it encounters a DNA sequence
>-> shorter than 5 nt.  (Apparently there are several very short sequences in
>-> recent releases from genbank.)
>
>	Wait a minute.  Are you trying to tell me that there are loci in
>GenBank that are 4 nt or shorter?
>--
>Roy Smith, Public Health Research Institute
>455 First Avenue, New York, NY 10016
>roy at alanine.phri.nyu.edu -OR- $att,cmcl2,rutgers,hombre!phri!roy
>"Arcane?  Did you say arcane?  It wouldn't be Unix if it wasn't arcane!"

Whether or not there are short sequences I cannot tell, but the bug was
certainly there, as shown by an (accidentaly) zero length sequence in EMBL one
week last year (only one week) which crashed the GCG version - this was
fixed by GCG, I guess the info on the bug did not filter back, appologies Bill,
I should have alerted you also.

Jasper Rees

JRees at Vax.Oxford.ac.uk
Seqtest at Wccf.Mit.Edu