Summary of archivers

Jack Kramer - Biophysics kramer at beasley.CS.ORST.EDU
Wed Jul 17 12:19:40 EST 1991

In article <1991Jul17.070244.7015 at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu> smith at mcclb0.med.nyu.edu writes:
>In article <91Jul16.142746eet_dst.56687 at nic.funet.fi>, harper at NIC.FUNET.FI (Robert Harper) writes:
>>
>> For those of you interested in archivers for compressing files on various
>> computer systems, here is the latest report that I have come across.
>
>Any idea where these compressors can be found?  I would really like to get
>ZOO V2.x for the VAX/VMS (or anything else for that matter), and other
>programs for the Mac and PC would be really welcome.

Most of the archive goodies, including VMS ports or source which can
be ported can be found on :

ftp.bio.indiana.bio
genbank.bio.net
menudo.uh.edu
simtel20.army.mil
sumex.stanford.edu

and many other anonymous ftp sites.  You might try checking around
locally since these are very common and a machine right next door
might already have them.

There is a collection of lists of network archives in /pub/lists
on molbio.med.miami.edu, some specifically for molecular biologists.
Indices for many of the more popular archives are also there.

A excellent and extremely useful system named ARCHIE developed by
McGill University is now available via Internet.  ARCHIE
is an interactive directory service with keywork search facilities
for over 600 of the major anonymous ftp archive sites.  Try telnet
to quiche.cs.mcgill.ca - login as archie - no passwork is required.
the interactive help will guide you through the first session.

The ftp.list file available from pilot.njin.net may be obsoleted by
archie by I still find it useful.

jack