Help in choosing a graphics machine.

Rescorla rescorla at
Sat Jul 27 07:54:27 EST 1991

In article <16196 at> starbuck at (aaron greenwood) writes:
>In our lab we do molecular modeling on an Evans & Sutherland PS390.

>We are now in a position to purchase another graphics machine.  We are looking
>at the following.
>Silicon Graphics Personal Iris 4/D
>Evans & Sutherland EVS.
Ok. We have a PI 4D25. As a matter of fact, that's what this is.
It's not the fastest machine on the planet, but it's reasonable, and
the graphics are really quite slick(24 Bit plane, Z-Buffer). Nice
machine really. I would recommend buying an Iris for one simple
reason. There are a lot of them sold. That means a lot of software
available. You may be able to get QUANTA, CHARMm, INSIGHT and Discover
for the EVS, but you may well find that there is nothing available
after that--which you won't like. This will keep you from having
a generally useful machine as opposed to a pure graphics machine.

The question I would ask is what IS an EVS? The SGI is a MIPS machine,
but who makes the guts of the EVS? This would be important, for assessing
how compatible the architecture is.

Eric Rescorla                                     rescorla at
     "No his mind is not for rent;to any God or government"-Peart/Dubois