Computational Biochemistry at ETH Zuerich

Rolf Georg Eberhardt reberhar at
Mon Mar 11 03:13:39 EST 1991

Computational Biochemistry Research at ETH Zuerich

The Computational Biochemistry Research Group (CBRG) is a research
group at the Eidgenoessische Technische Hochschule Zuerich (ETH) in
Switzerland, involving researchers from Organic Chemistry and Computer
Science. Its main research goal is the derivation of biological/genetic
information and theories through the analysis of genetic sequences.

Current Interests

The CBRG is mainly interested in the following topics:

- Cross-matching of an entire DNA-database against itself to record
  all significant homologies.
- The computation of a theoretical measure of evolution either for
  homologous sequences, in which case we compute the distance from
  divergence, or for sets of sequences, in which case we compute
  phylogenetic (evolutionary) trees. In both cases we are interested
  in modelling and computing evolutionary distances between homologous
- The effective visual representation of evolutionary information.
- The search for genetic clocks, i.e. methods for estimating age of
  divergences based on sequence information. The goal of this research
  is to obtain timing information as reliable as possible. We have been
  studying methods based on non-coding DNA and methods based on the
  redundancy of the genetic code for this clock.
- The reconstruction of ancestral sequences through probabilistic models.

The main tool for our research is the DSF (DNA Searching Facility)
system. DSF is interactive, has a set of powerful primitive operations.
DSF currently runs on Sun-3, Sun-4/SPARC, DECstation 3100 and on MIPS
machines. The CBRG will distribute binaries of DSF via ftp free of charge.

If you are interested in our research we will gladly send you a hard-copy
of our research paper describing CBRG and its activities. We can be
reached through:

	e-mail:	reberhar at
	mail:	ETH Zuerich
		Institut fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen
		CH-8092 Zuerich

Rolf Eberhardt, Inst. fuer wissenschaftliches Rechnen, ETH Zuerich, Switzerland
e-mail: reberhar at