Signal sequence software

"Rainer Fuchs ", EMBL Data Library Rainer.Fuchs%EMBL at PUCC.PRINCETON.EDU
Wed Mar 6 08:50:00 EST 1991

Michelle Ginsburg asked:
> Does anyone know, please, of a program that will correctly identify
> signal sequence peptides ( not just predict the membrane spanning portion).

I think that almost all of the newer sequence analysis packages include
options to do this. Additionally, there is a program called SIGSEQ available
from the EMBL file server by A.M. Popowicz (CABIOS 4 (88), 405), incl. C
source code, for DOS and UNIX. Although I haven't tried it I assume it will
also run under VMS.

A program called SigCleave, written by Peter Rice, is also available as part
of the GCGEMBL package.

Rainer Fuchs
EMBL Data Library
fuchs at