INTERBIT corruption of carats and tildes

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Thu Nov 7 10:42:00 EST 1991

        I'm back ;-(.  The latest version of the EMBL-UUEN/DECODEr also had
arrived.  Though it declares itself as the same version I had been using, it
DOES decode files with the carat -> 8-bit_character corruptions 8-).

        Note that when EMBL becomes Internet-only next month, the Gene-Server
will become the only archive associated with this forum from which BITNET-only
sites can get files via Email without corruption of carats and tildes during
transfer at INTERBIT gateways in the direction from Internet to BITNET.
Though this won't matter for the UUENCODEd files (if you have the current
decoder), care should be taken to so protect any text, script or source files
which have those characters (i.e., it's important not JUST for executables).

                                Fote