Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Sun Nov 3 00:15:00 EST 1991

>Foteos Macrides said:
>>         This was also a historic (8-) opportunity to see how the EMBL
>> UUEN/DECODEing software fares when the file crosses an Internet -> BITNET
>> gateway.
>Nope, Rainer Fuchs and the person who designed the EMBL
>uuencode/uudecode did it *explicitly* for that problem. I also tested
>it when I started the UH Gene-Server.  A crude guess would suggest
>that, from my end anyway, it has been tested on the order of 4000
>dr. dan davison

        So why couldn't I decode it until after I did an E3 -> 5E global
search and replace?  Note that carats are not corrupted when crossing a
gateway in the BITNET -> Internet direction, or when travelling entirely down
a BITNET chain or entirely via Internet from EMBL, only when going across from
Internet to BITNET.

        The routing info for your posting indicates that you communicate with
BIO-SOFT at via your Internet address, so you should not have
experienced the corruption and should have had no trouble decoding the file.

 MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET     222 Maple Avenue, Shrewsbury, MA 01545