DOS program MARKER.UUE

Foteos Macrides MACRIDES at WFEB2.BITNET
Sun Nov 3 00:15:00 EST 1991

>Foteos Macrides said:
>>         This was also a historic (8-) opportunity to see how the EMBL
>> UUEN/DECODEing software fares when the file crosses an Internet -> BITNET
>> gateway.
>
>Nope, Rainer Fuchs and the person who designed the EMBL
>uuencode/uudecode did it *explicitly* for that problem. I also tested
>it when I started the UH Gene-Server.  A crude guess would suggest
>that, from my end anyway, it has been tested on the order of 4000
>times.
>
>dr. dan davison

        So why couldn't I decode it until after I did an E3 -> 5E global
search and replace?  Note that carats are not corrupted when crossing a
gateway in the BITNET -> Internet direction, or when travelling entirely down
a BITNET chain or entirely via Internet from EMBL, only when going across from
Internet to BITNET.

        The routing info for your posting indicates that you communicate with
BIO-SOFT at genbank.bio.net via your Internet address, so you should not have
experienced the corruption and should have had no trouble decoding the file.

                                Fote