"Silent" restriction sites

Oberste oberste at ncifcrf.gov
Fri Nov 8 12:24:15 EST 1991

In article <1991Nov8.155818.11334 at murdoch.acc.Virginia.EDU> wrp at cyclops.micr.Virginia.EDU (Bill Pearson) writes:
>	I have been asked if a program is available to find "silent"
>restriction sites, that is, single base changes that can be made in a
>DNA sequence that introduce a restriction site but do not change the
>protein coding sequence.
>	I do not believe that such a program is available in either
>EUGENE or GCG.
>Bill Pearson

The GCG Map and Mapsort programs have a /SILent switch for just such purposes,
for seeking silent substitutions in reading frame 1.  I don't know whether it
lists sites with only single base changes or all potential sites, but it would
be easy enough to try it.

--steve

Steve Oberste                            Internet: oberste at ncifcrf.gov
LCMS, PRI, NCI-FCRDC
PO Box B                            "Only 2 things are truly universal:
Frederick, Maryland 21702-1201             Hydrogen and Stupidity"