image processing [coordinates from scanned images]

Reinhard Doelz / URZ Basel doelz at urz.unibas.ch
Wed Oct 9 13:16:33 EST 1991

We have digitized images of a video camera, which are black and
white in approx. 500 * 500 resolution. The image is an electron micrograph
prepared by "rotary shadowing". This gives a very coarse grain of
spots of the size of up to 4x4 pixels, and round shape. The object we are
interested in is a lengthy rod, of about 100x6 pixels, which is bended and
looks like a worm. There are multiple of these worms on each image, but they
don't interfere. For measuring, we would like to have the coordinates of the
midpoint of the bended rods.

Question: Given a  TIFF or other popular image format, is there a software
which will filter out the grainy background, and determine the coordinates
in the form of approx. 100 coordinate pairs per worm?

Thanks
Reinhard

    Dr. Reinhard Doelz            *     EAN     doelz at urz.unibas.ch
      Biocomputing                *     DECNET  20579::48130::doelz
Biozentrum der Universitaet       *     X25     psi%022846211142::embnet
   Klingelbergstrasse 70          *     FAX     x41 61 261- 6760
     CH 4056 Basel                *     TEL     x41 61 267- 2076 or 2247