Restriction Analysis Software

frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca
Wed Oct 16 09:54:40 EST 1991

Note: I tried to send this to schwartz at cwru.cwru.edu and it bounced with
the message:
<<< 550 User "schwartz" Unknown.
550 <schwartz at cwru.cwru.edu>... User unknown

so I am posting this:

In article <1991Oct15.230643.7886 at usenet.ins.cwru.edu>
schwartz at cwru.cwru.edu  writes:
>I am interested in PD software for the PC that will perform
>restriction analyis on DNA.  I require something that will
>predict sites, and patterns after cutting.

There are several programs in the FSAP package that do what you want.
INTREST and BACHREST find restriction sites in DNA sequences and print the
locations, fragment ends, and predicted gel fragments for a single enzyme
digest. DIGEST calculates resultant fragments from digests with one or more
enzymes, either complete or partial. DIGEST also labels which enzyme cut
which end of a fragment.

                      F    S    A    P
The Fristensky Sequence Analysis Package (formerly Cornell
Sequence Analysis Package) has proven to be a
versatile, reliable, and highly portable suite of programs for
sequence analysis. At the heart of the package is NUMSEQ, a
sequence manipulation program that provides a large number of
options for presentation of sequence data, as well as
facilitating simulation of operations such as translation,
subcloning and ligation. Restriction search programs predict
fragments and ends from single or multiple, complete or parital
digests, and display linear or circular maps. Rapid matrix
similarity searches perform quantititive comparisons of nucleic
acid and protein sequences. Programs for base/amino acid
composition and ORF analysis are also provided. Programs are
compatible with IUPAC-IUB ambiguity conventions, and can read a
wide variety of sequence file formats.

FTP: /var/spool/ftp/pub/psgendb/fsap.tar.Z   at ccu.umanitoba.ca
                                                (130.179.16.8)

An MS-DOS version, including executable files, is also available in this
directory.  See the README file more information.

Brian Fristensky                | Conservation is getting nowhere because it is
Department of Plant Science     | incompatible with our Abrahamic concept of
University of Manitoba          | land. We abuse land because we regard it as a
Winnipeg, MB R3T 2N2  CANADA    | commodity belonging to us. When we see land
frist at ccu.umanitoba.ca          | as a community to which we belong, we may
Office phone:   204-474-6085    | begin to use it with love and respect.
FAX:            204-275-5128    | Aldo Leopold, 1948 A SAND COUNTY ALMANAC