rebsearch1.1 - search REBASE with gawk

Humberto Oritz-Zuazaga zuazaga at
Sat Sep 21 20:02:22 EST 1991

In article <1991Sep20.065013.3221 at> harper at (Rob Harper) writes:

>On usenet it is a well established practice to send out binaries
>in UUENCODED format. For example alt.sources,
>but on Bionet we only have

It's also well established not to send binaries over discussion groups.

>What I would like to know is would there be any need for a newsgroup
>called I already have a directory on NIC
>called /pub/sci/incoming for accepting PD software, and it would not
>be a big job to UUENCODE any software deposited there and pump it out
>to a newsgroup... but is there any need for such a mechanism?

I think it would be a good idea to have a binaries group, it might even
encourage the publication of even more quality PD biological software.
However, I think it should be  a moderated group, lest it get out of
hand.  The major problem with a moderated group is that biology-related
software is available for an astonishing number of machines and
operating system, and so it'll be a headache to see if the software
indeed works before distributing.
Humberto Ortiz-Zuazaga                      INTERNET: zuazaga at
Dept. of Physiology & Biophysics              BITNET:              picone at ucbeh
University of Cincinnati                         CIS:                72301,2303