(was rebsearch1.1...)

Don Gilbert gilbertd at
Fri Sep 20 08:49:06 EST 1991

I don't think newsgroups work too well to distribute software.  Most
programs are too big to fit in one message, often they are strung out
over many.  Users must go to extra work to patch them back together.
Also, in other binaries groups I have noticed that the software is generally
quite backlogged in getting sent, and much less is sent thru newsgroups
than is available at ftp sites.  I expect similar problems would appear
in a group.

But those are relatively small quibbles about the mechanics -- if
enough people would benefit from such to want such a group, it may be
a good idea.
-- don
Don Gilbert                                     gilbert at