Richard E. Showalter rich at
Tue Sep 3 11:05:33 EST 1991

In article <Aug. at>
kristoff at (David Kristofferson) writes:
> Thanks, Win.  I hope others will share their BLAST and FASTA
> experiences since it should prove to be of general value.
> 				Sincerely,
> 				Dave Kristofferson
> 				GenBank Manager
> 				kristoff at
I would love to relay my experience with a blast comparison but I am having a
problem with the BLASTP, BLASTX, BLAST3 programs.  I was able to compile the
set of BLAST programs on a NeXT  workstation.  I converted the Genabank and PIR
databases into the correct formats for BLAST. (by the way keeping two different
copies of these databases to run various software products is a real pain in
the disk space)  BLASTN is very fast. ~2 seconds to search the gbbct subset
with a 2.2kb DNA sequence and it found all three DNA patterns which I had
identified previously with the FASTA set of programs.  I can not get the BLASTP
program to work I keep getting an error that says "too many HSP hits raise
MAX_HSP and recompile"  I have raised MAX_HSP to 5000 from 500 and all it does
is cause the program to go into the ozone grabing all my swap space until it is
killed.  Any help would be appreciated.  Also if these programs are made
available on a server machine, our group would be very interested in using the
service.  I have a few scripts which use the FASTA at and this
is a nice feature for my users.
					    |  Rich Showalter
"Hey, hey, hey, hey, it was the DNA,        |  SysAdmin
hey, hey, hey, hey, that made me this way." |  Agouron Institute
(Queen) 				    |  rich at